7.18.2009

The Season of Plenty

So, here's a quick reminder about how summer is the season of plenty! See those tarts? You can get them at Casa's table. They are full of berries and rhubarb from Art Gish of Dutch Creek Community Farm, Rick Vest of Vest Berries and Bonnie Witten of Witten Farm. You know why they're blurry? 'Cause it's hot out (well, it SHOULD be hot out) and you're getting all dreamy and woozy when you think of how good they are!

Blackberries, peaches and cherries are in full swing, and I don't know about you, but I love to get me some of the different varieties of cherries that John Gillogly has at his stall (Gillogly Orchard). My favorite summer fruit! I also had the chance to try wineberries from Proffitt's Farm; they look like raspberries, but have a mild, sweet flavor of their own. I'll get a pic next time I have the camera.

Seriously, summer is the time of plenty for produce, but never forget those delicious meats available: pork, beef, chicken, turkey, buffalo, oh my! Harmony Hollow has the bacon that people fight tooth and nail for (don't let that deter you from trying that sweet, smoky maple-y goodness). I got some ground buffalo today from Dixon's Elk Run Buffalo Farm (low in fat for those of you who care, and DELISH), and ground beef from Shew's Orchard. Remember that when you're at King Family Farm's stand buying turkey brats, and Charlene's sweet smile is making you blush, ask JB about the many different varieties of Swissland's cheese that they bring. Talk about a market and season of plenty. We are so blessed!

BOY, have I missed this blog! It's been a minute, I know. Things just get so busy at a restaurant sometimes... it's no fun to go this long without sharing some pictures and recipes and fun farmer's market info, though! It is my favorite "shift" of the week. Please look forward to pictures and news from the Jr. Chef School front (this past Wednesday we made breakfast burritos with yours truly as the guest chef and it was a smashing success!), as well as the "Three or More Cooking Contest" hosted by the Friends of the Athens Farmer's Market. And recipes!

No comments: