5.06.2009

Strawberries and Asparagus!!!

Ah, spring is here and the sweet, early fruits and vegetables of area farmer’s labors are starting to crop up at our local Farmer’s Market. This is a fantastic time to head out to the Market. Grab the kids and make an event out of it. At the Cantrell Honey and Candle booth, Mr. Cantrell gives each child a honey stick. At the Avalanche Pizza booth, as well as many others, there are little bits of treats to taste. Last week Emma and I made sure that we arrived at the Market just in time for the bell to ring and the vendor’s to open for business. We usually go straight to Harmony Hollow for that delicious bacon, but our priorities this time were strawberries and asparagus! We quickly located Cowdery Farms booth and joined in the rapidly filling up line for the first strawberries of the season. As we waited in line I watched the strawberries selling out right before my eyes - luckily, there was one container left when it was our turn. $3.00 is a small price to pay for those first sweet strawberries of the season. After we purchased them I felt slightly guilty as the line behind me dispersed in sadness. It will not be long now before strawberries are a common occurrence at the Market. A local U-Pick farm, Vest Berries, will soon provide enough berries for all. I considered including ideas on how best to use those berries in a recipe, but I have to say that eating them straight out of the basket while you are still at the Market is the best way to enjoy them. Emma’s berry-stained face and dress was a beautiful sight to see……
Our next priority was finding fresh asparagus. I know what you are thinking – eww, asparagus? Let me tell you a secret I have learned about this short-lived treat – fresh-picked asparagus is the ONLY way to eat it. Asparagus has a short season – only a few weeks. In ideal growing conditions it can grow 10 inches in 24 hours! Asparagus is highly nutritious and contains no fat or cholesterol. I located fresh asparagus at the booth of Rich Gardens Organic Farm. I bought a large bunch, anticipating sharing it with family and friends. Much to my dismay the BBQ was cancelled and I found myself with a large amount of asparagus to eat all by myself. I was concerned about it going to waste – but the good news is that it was so delicious I only have a couple of stalks left! Below is a super simple recipe to prepare fresh asparagus, although raw asparagus is also very good. Once I tasted how delicious it was I wished that I would have made some pasta to go with it – next time!
Ingredients:
Asparagus
Olive oil
Butter (the butter is for extra flavor, optional)
Salt
Pepper
Pour about a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a skillet, add about a tablespoon or so of butter and heat on medium high. Once the oil is hot and the butter melted, throw in the asparagus. Sautee for just a few minutes until it is warmed through. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Did you know that the EBT card is accepted at the Farmer’s Market? Check in with Harmony Hollow Farm booth and Rich will get you set up with the tokens accepted at most of the booths. What a fantastic way to have access to fresh, locally-grown, healthy products!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like what you're doing with the market website and the blog. You're the best, Sarah.
Will Dewees